Sunday 6 October 2013

Sweet Potato Flour

A while ago someone bought me sweet potato flour. It has sat in the cupboard, lonely and neglected. I decided that tonight was the night it would be used, damnit. 

Thank god for Google. 

"Sweet Potato Flour + Vegan Recipe" yielded a plethora of results and this was the winner...

Vegan Oatmeal Quick Bread 

I made a few substitutions. I used organic sunflower oil and raw agave and of course, sweet potato flour in place of whole wheat flour. 

It's still baking away in the over but it looks promising.  This is what it looked like before it went in the oven...


I didn't expect it to rise much, seeing as there is no yeast or active rising agent in the recipe but it did get about 50% bigger and cracked nicely. It was supposed to be round and I made it oval. That may have made it crack deeper than is visually appealing. Meh. 

Here is the final product!

I'll happily go interrupt my lovely watching The Walking Dead and force feed her bread while demanding a useful review. 

...intermission...

And the verdict is in! 

It's good! But not as a loaf. Next time I would spead it thin on parchment paper and make flatbread style crackers with it. Then smother it with hummus and other savory things or even tofutti cream cheese and jam. 

Cheers!

Recipe can be found here:





No comments:

Post a Comment