Wednesday 9 October 2013

Feel Good Food...

Sometimes you just want some feel good food. Not a salad. Not a soup. But FOOOOOOOD. Ok, so that didn't make a lot of sense. 

Some days salad and soup are feel good food. But tonight I wanted something warm and "un-vegan" in the intellectual sense. Like, I know that its vegan but I want to trick my brain into thinking its a relic from the past.

So tonight we had ribs and slaw! I also had some sweet potato laying around so I grated it on my mandolin into shoestrings, drizzled it with olive oil and sea salt and added some rosemary. DE-VINE. Oh my gosh! 

The ribs were leftover from the other day, so I threw them on the BBQ to crisp up and did they ever! 


The slaw I used pre-packed cabbage slaw mix and made the sauce. I just pour and scoop ingredients but I'm going to try and guess here.

The sauce consisted of:
- Vegenaise (1/2 cup roughly)
- Rice Vinegar (3 tbsp?)
- Wasabi Paste (1 tbsp?)
- Jalapeño flakes (2 tbsp)
- Fresh Cilantro (1/2 cup?)
- Sugar (2 tbsp?)

I also added raisins. Because I wanted something sweet to balance out the spicy. Here's how it looked!

The sweet potato, once grated and tossed was spread onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Then baked at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes. Once the edges were nice and crispy I took it out and put it in a bowl. It was SO good and so easy to make!


I now feel so full and satisfied. 

I'm debating making some vegan fudge tonight but truthfully I'm just so tired. If I do, there will be an entry! 

Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment