Wednesday 16 October 2013

Guyanese Conkies!

Ok, so I wasn't actually really excited to make these. I didn't think I liked them based on the ingredients. Pumpkin, corn flour, lard- no thanks!

But I absolutely love and adore my father in law, and he requested them. Like any other recipe, I veganized and made my own judgement on the recipe. Here's how it all played out, more or less:

Pumpkin Purée (1 cup)
Corn Flour (1 cup)
Vegetable Shortening (1 tbsp)
Black Pepper (1 tsp)
Nutmeg (1.5 tbsp)
White Sugar (1/4 cup)
Brown Demerara Sugar (1/4 cup)
Shredded Coconut (1/4 cup)
Coarse Sea Salt (1 tsp)
Seedless Sultana Raisins (1 cup)
Water - until dropping consistency. About 1 cup. 

Ok, so it all goes in a bowl, stir it up and voila. Just keep adding water until it is thick enough to shape on the leaf. Too runny and it won't steam properly. Too dry and it won't have the desired "pudding" like texture.

I'm growing fond of steaming things in banana leaves. And not just because I have millions of them to use. It is just so much fun. Like opening a present every time!!

Here's how they turned out! I had a taste and I must say- DE-LISH! 

They have a moist cakey taste to them. I want to say like bread pudding, but I can't remember for sure. 

What's next on the agenda? Maybe vegan "eggs" Benny! Stay tuned! 

3 comments:

  1. So, how does one eat a conkie? Is it breakfast? Dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They could be a breakfast, snack or dessert. They're versatile because they're not overly sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really intrigued with the banana leaf component - does it help with the steaming of it, does it give a bit of flavour?? I'm now really thinking of trying these!

    ReplyDelete