Monday 7 October 2013

Ribs.

I've been a vegetarian my entire life. My wife has not. In fact, for the first 39 years of her life she was a solid omnivore. Then in January of 2013 she made the decision to go peascatarian (seafood only) and last month she made the leap to vegetarian.

Her transition went rather smooth, except for one thing. Ribs. Since January all I've heard is, "Ribs. I want ribs. Why isn't there a rib alternative? Can you find one? I WANT RIBS."

Well friends, thanks to my good friend Tatiana (with some help from Google) I HAVE MADE VEGAN RIBS.

I'm a firm believer that 90% of the awesomeness of a dish is the sauce. I'm a total sauce whore. Seriously. I'll do almost anything for sauce. Almost. 

Anyway, I was super skeptical as my dealings with Seitan (Vital Wheat Gluten) had been non-existent up until tonight. 

You can use any vegan Seitan recipe that google comes up with. They're all relatively the same. I got mine from food.com. 

Without further adieu, THE RIBS!


As for the magic sauce, it was hot as hell. Just like we like it in our house. I measured nothing, but I'll guess as best I can here for ingredients:

Ketchup
Tabasco sauce
Brown sugar
Wild Turkey bourbon
Soy sauce
Mustard
Crushed garlic
Molasses
Hot chili peppers

Basically, just mix it all in a saucepan and bring to a boil and the reduce to a low simmer. 

When the ribs are done sauce the hell out of them and OM NOM NOM.

I asked my lovely to sample them and this is what I got back...

I hope you all enjoy them that much too!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment