Tuesday 18 March 2014

Coconut Berry Bundt Cake!

I was really excited this past weekend, though it was bittersweet. We went to the closing sale at The World's Biggest Book Store in Toronto. It was sad to see so many empty shelves. Some of the sections were more picked over than others; art & photography books were scarce, mystery novels on the other hand were plentiful.

Lucky for me there were quite a few cook books left over, and even a handful of vegan ones. I managed to snag this one for a whopping $2.50.



My first project was the coconut berry bundt cake. The only adjustment that I made was adding more fruit, which was a so-so decision. I used fresh raspberries and blueberries, but it did make the cake a little soppy for my liking, though none of my work guinea pigs complained.

This is a pretty easy cake to make, you'll need:

2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups raw cane sugar
3/4 cups unsweetened coconut
2 cups of almond milk
2/3 cups oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2 cups mixed berries

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. As with most baking, mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and then add in the wet.Stir well and then add the fruit. Pour into a greased bundt cake and bake for 1 hour. I did 7 extra minutes because the extra fruit was throwing off my stick test. Mine kept coming out with stuff on it but it was just the fruit.

When you take it out of the oven let it sit for about 10 minutes before flipping. The cooler it is the better it will retain it's shape, especially if you use extra fruit. Once it's cooled you can flip it onto a cooling rack and let sit for at least 30 minutes to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar to serve and enjoy! This makes a great breakfast cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment