Friday 3 January 2014

Stuffed Parathas!

Ok, so this post gets dedicated to my friend at work, Chandra. She has been trying to get me to make roti and parathas for a while and I finally did it! And she was right! It was super easy! 

First, I made my curried veg. In a pan I fried up some diced onion, garlic and potato. I seasoned it with yellow curry powder, turmeric, chili powder and a pinch of salt. 


Now that the stuffing is done, I took it off the heat and set it aside to make the dough. To make the dough;

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup water
Pinch of salt

In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and vegetable oil. Slowly add water until dough is formed. Knead dough to an even consistency and set aside. 


Break off a piece of dough and roll Into a ball. On a well floured surface, roll the dough out to about 1/2" thick and place a spoonful of the filling in the middle.


Fold the corners over and "round out" while flattening with a rolling pin. It should be about twice the circumference and half the thickness. 



Place the paratha into a pre-heated, non oiled pan, on medium-high heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, flip and cook again for another 1-2 minutes. The paratha should have a nice brownness to it and puff up slightly. 


TA-DAAAAA! Parathas! I can't wait to make more with all different fillings. Don't be discouraged if they don't look "pretty" at the beginning. It took me a few tries to get the technique down. For your laughing pleasure, my first one looked like this:


At least it tasted good! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment