Monday 20 January 2014

Orange Ginger "Chicken"

This post is the reason that I don't make blog posts on experimental dishes.

Tonight while trying to figure out what to make for dinner, finishing up some extra pulpy orange juice and using my new "garlic and jalapeño" blend sauce I came up with orange chicken. This is where things get dicey: I cook like the Swedish chef. This is the recipe to the best of my recollection.

First, preheat oven to 425 and bake the "chicken". I buy a preservative free one, but there are lots available on the market or you could make your own with vital wheat gluten. While that's cooking, make the sauce.

In a medium sauce pan in medium heat add:

1 tbsp of vegetable oil 
1 tbsp of garlic/jalapeño mix (or just garlic) 
1 tsp of fresh ginger (grated)
1 tbsp ketchup

Let simmer and then add:
1/2 cup of orange juice (with pulp adds texture)
1 tsp potato starch (or corn) dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp agave nectar (to taste)

Once the sauce has thickened and the chicken is done, add the crispy chicken into the sauce and stir to coat. Eat alone or over rice. DELICIOUS! 






No comments:

Post a Comment