Saturday 11 January 2014

Cranberry Orange Scones

When I hear the word "scone", I immediately think about choking to death on dry, stale-tasting biscuits. 

Many people have told me that my feelings on this food are unwarranted and so I decided that the best way to confirm or deny my theory was to bake some scones and see for myself. 

Mission SUCCESSFUL! After inhaling three scones and talking myself out of a fourth I am ready to blog about it. Huzzah! 

I'll have to apologize, because one of my ingredients was previously made, so if you make these with dried cranberries they may taste different. Just a heads up.

Ingredients:

-2 cups flour 
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-4 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-6 tbsp vegetable oil 
-1/2 agave nectar 
-2/3 orange juice w/pulp
-1/2 cup dried cranberries (*I used a boozy cranberry sauce, recipe at the bottom)

Preheat the oven to 425. 

In one bowl mix the flours, baking powder, salt and cranberries, if you're using the dry ones. 

In another bowl mix the oil, juice, and nectar and cranberry sauce. 

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and spoon in tablespoon sized dollops onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. 

Bake for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown and then inhale with vegan butter, jam or on their own.


Boozy Cranberry recipe:

12oz bag of fresh cranberries
1/2 cup of sugar
2 large oranges, juiced
1 1/2 shots of brandy or triple sec

Mix all ingredients in a bowl coating the cranberries well. Pour onto middle of a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. VOILA. Amazing cranberry sauce, great on toast, in scones or on tofurkey! 



Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment