Friday 16 January 2015

Kidney Bean Salad

I don't know what else to call this. 

I started off trying to make mock tuna. I diced all of my onions and then opened a can of what I thought was chick peas... 

FOILED! It was kidney beans! WTF?!  I literally spent the next 30 minutes tearing the pantries apart in search of chick peas. There were none. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! That's like running out of nooch, or cashews. IMPOSSIBLE. I am still in total disbelief, maybe even denial. (They're here SOMEWHERE!!!) 

In the mean time, I had a large red onion chopped and a hankering for a Just Mayo based salad. Mock tuna was out- but what could I do with kidney beans? 

This. I did this. And sweet mother jeebus it is divine. Here is my best recollection of the recipe with made up measurements. 

1 can kidney beans (28oz)
1/2 cup Just Mayo 
3-4 garlic dill pickles, chopped
1 medium/large red onion chopped
1 tbsp tamari 
1 tbsp horseradish
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything except the onions, pickles and beans. Then add the pickles and onions. Last, add the beans and stir to coat. Now, eat directly from mixing bowl, or you could top your favourite cracker, load up your favourite bread, wrap it up. Whatever you do, just enjoy! It's delicious!


*Do you ever make something SO good, but it's impossible to take a good photo of? It's late and I'm tired and quite frankly, keep eating my model. This is the bean salad on a toasted jalapeño baguette. (Teeny bite size to feign sophistication! 😆)

No comments:

Post a Comment